Sunday, November 29, 2009

Joyful Anticipation...

Today is the first Sunday of Advent. Yes, we all know what this season means-- Christmas is coming, and with it, the decorations, presents, baking, and all-around holiday cheer. And while none of these things are necessarily bad, I think it's important to realize that we are waiting. But for what?

We are waiting for Jesus. And not only tiny baby Jesus in the manger, but glorious, powerful, and mighty Jesus in the second coming.

It's really easy to get caught up in the commercialized holiday spirit that we forget what we are celebrating. It's not Christmastime yet, but a preparation period, albeit filled with hope, joy, anticipation, and peace. It's a time to remember the last part of the memorial acclamation that we've been singing in mass-- Christ has died, Christ has risen, Christ will come again.

Jesus was here, and walked this earth. We are left with the account in the four gospels. But to truly be Christians, Christ must be more to us than a historical figure. He is coming again, and you need to prepare yourself.

And that is why we have Advent. Yes, celebrate the the birth of Christ; drink your hot chocolate, trim your tree, play some Christmas music, spend time with your family. But during this Advent season, don't forget to prepare yourself in spiritual ways, through prayer and reflection.

I think it is a wonderful paradox that we are expected to peacefully and joyfully anticipate. I don't know about you, but I am an impatient person, and anticipation is anything but peaceful for me. Usually, I get really nervous when I am waiting for something. But in Advent, I must find peace in the promises of Christ. Be excited about Jesus' coming. Realize the deep and passionate love He has for you personally, and grow joyously in Him. And if you're like me, ask Him to give you the peace in waiting.

The past few years, Advent has passed by relatively unnoticed for me. I was too caught up in Nutcracker rehearsals and performances, and final exams and projects, that I never really focused on preparing myself and finding joy in the coming of Christ. I want this year to be different.


O Come, O Come, Emmanuel!

Note: last Sunday, I spent the day with my mom, grandma, one of my sisters, and the Respect Life Committee at my church making Advent wreaths. This is ours, which was made by my sister, Amanda.


4 comments:

CeeCee said...

Nice post. Advent is really hard, especially since everything is decorated for Christmas. I hope that I can "trim" my heart in the dressings of Advent although my townhouse will be trimmed in the dressings of Christmas!

Unknown said...

:D Yeah, my mom kept reminding us this morning about how Advent is like a much more relaxed version of Lent. It really is, but I don't think many people realize that. I think I'm going to take on some type of Advent preparatory task like during Lent.

Shannon said...

I find this whole view of Advent very interesting. This is the first Advent I'll be celebrating while going to things at St. Michael's. Growing up, Advent was really just "yay, Christmas is coming!" The same stories of Christmas are really all I remember hearing at church year after year, so I was kind of surprised when I went to mass yesterday and it wasn't all Christmas centered. I really like it though since it does keep your mind on the fact that he isn't just an historical figure like you said, and we have to be preparing ourselves always. I think this year will be different for me than it has in past years as well.

Allison Marshall said...

CeeCee- yes, I can relate. :) You guys should get an advent wreath!

Emma-I've been thinking a lot about what it means to actually "prepare". I mean, sure, everybody knows what prepare means, but how do we actually do it? I think taking on some sort of task is a really good idea.

Shannon- I think the best part is that it is the Church's new year- Advent is the time where we are making our resolutions and preparing for the rest of the year. :) I wish more of the world celebrated the way we do, with Advent leading up to Christmas, and then Christmas being celebrated for it's actual duration. (I think until the epiphany, but I'm not positive).