Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The good that comes from narcissism...

In a random bout of curiosity (and yes, some degree of narcissism!), I googled my blogger URL, "amdgdaily." The second web address that came up was a link to a PDF of The Ignatian Examen, or prayer of daily awareness.

It was St. Ignatius of Loyola who coined the phrase, "Ad majorem Dei gloriam," (translating to 'All for the greater glory of God') As is evident from the theme of my blog, this phrase has long been close to my heart, and I (try to) live my life by it.

And so I was very interested in this prayer. In Confirmation class, we were taught the standard "formula" of a good prayer-- Glorify, Thank, and Supplicate. However, for someone like me who is easily distracted, more depth is required to keep my focus on the prayer, and long have I wished for something to help me go a little deeper.

This mediation provides just that, and I am thrilled. It takes you on a peaceful journey through your day, and focuses on giving everything over to God.

That said, I know that the ideal method of prayer varies from individual to individual, but I encourage any one who struggles with prayers that seem superficial to try this method. I am definitely looking in to Ignatian prayer further, and I will share any significant findings accordingly.

1 comment: