Thursday, November 26, 2009

Full...

I am full. This is more than just a reference to the unfailingly delicious meal that I, along with family and friends, have stuffed myself with. I am full. Full of food, but more importantly, full of thanksgiving for the abundance of blessings in my life.

God gives so much. He give, and gives, and gives. And while I strive to thank him for his gifts each day, I think that today in particular merits some intensive contemplation of what those gifts are, and their quintessence in our lives.

Don't get scared. I'm not going to catalogue each thing that I am thankful for, tempted though I am. I'll spare you, 1.) because I'm rather long-winded, and 2.) I would literally be writing for the rest of the night, and I'll be honest-- I don't want to miss the pumpkin pie!

I encourage you to go beyond the formulaic food-family-friends when thanking God for your blessings today (though I don't endorse or condone going much beyond that during any pre-meal blessings-sharing with your salivating table-mates). Think about everything God has given you, and understand the implications that gift has in your life. Consider life without it, and cherish it not just in thought, but in word and deed.

Recognize your fullness, and realize that while you certainly can eat your fill of Turkey and stuffing, the blessings God can fill you with have no capacity.

So eat, drink, and be merry, but don't forget to gorge yourself on the blessings of Christ!

Happy Thanksgiving! I am so thankful for YOU!

3 comments:

CeeCee said...

Beautiful post. I thank God for you, Ayya.

Anonymous said...

As do I, Allie. Thank you for the reminder of the importance of being greatful.

Shannon said...

I like how you pointed out to think about the implications of the gifts in your life. I know I sometimes rush through thanking God and don't really think about why those things are put in my life. Hope you had a good thanksgiving!