Monday, August 22, 2011

My afternoon.

Yesterday (and by that, I mean Saturday), I was considering why I have been in such an out-of-sorts and generally grumpy mood of late. I realized that it was because I hadn't spent any real time outdoors all week. After two months of hardly ever being indoors, that weighs heavily on my soul! Auburn, for all her glories, is simply too hot and humid right now to enjoy any prolonged out-of-doorsedness.

However, I firmly resolved to spend a portion of my blessed day of rest outside.

So I went here:

And spent the afternoon with these friends:

A worthy afternoon, in my mind. Since returning from camp, I am much resolved to read more. I devoured any book I could get my hands on as a kid, but I let that passion slip away from me as I grew up. I am rekindling that love by making an effort to be constantly reading something either new or beloved.

Today, I was lost in the words of Sheldon Vanauken's A Severe Mercy, one of my favorite books. I think I love this book for a couple reasons: 1. It is a story, and I love stories. 2. It is a true story-- even better! 3. It is a story that is good and beautiful and thought-provoking; that engages the mind, heart, and spirit. (No, seriously.) 4.  It involves C.S. Lewis. Do I need to say more?

So, I won't. Goodnight!

3 comments:

CeeCee said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I have been looking for a copy of A Severe Mercy EVERYWHERE!!! Gah.. I've never read it and just heard about it recently!!!

Allison Marshall said...

It is SO good. I got it from amazon for less than $2.00!

Unknown said...

I cannot wait until it gets a little cooler outside so we can spend all day at Chewacla or Kiesel. And hammock!